Monday, December 15, 2008

Getting to the Start of the Road

OK, so here's the plan: having considered various options including renting a vehicle or buying a vehicle in NY and selling it in SF, I've decided to ship my vehicle (2004 Ford Escape) to Toronto by train. I'm then going to fly to Toronto on January 12, 2009 pick it up and head south to the border. Before heading for New York City I plan to visit Lowell, Massachusetts - Kerouac's birthplace and where he spent the early years of his life - where his road began. It'd also be good to get to Concord and check out some of Thoreau's old haunts - Walden Pond etc, "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...."

Then Sean flies into New York on January 16 and we'll hang out in New York for the weekend before heading out on the road on January 19....

6 comments:

jack flatt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jack flatt said...

Love the car! We'll be with you in spirit ..... oh, and Mary says if we win the Lottery is there room on the back seat?

abroadbent said...

As a fellow BC'er (hometown Kelowna) and Kerouac fan I am currently "On the Road" with my wife for 365 days (just checked off Argentina).
The trip sounds amazing and I'll be following along to hopefully retrace your steps one day.

Best of luck and Enjoy!

Completely Jealous,

Arik

FionaGalvani said...

God speed my friend.

Rick Dale, author of The Beat Handbook said...

Good luck. I'll try to keep tabs on your progress and occasionally report about it on my Kerouac-obsessed blog at www.thedailybeatblog.blogspot.com.

Rosemary Keevil-Fairburn said...

Hello, My name is Rosemary Keevil-Fairburn. I am a journalist taking my masters at UBC. I live in West Vancouver and am officially part of your congregation. My girls were baptized at St. Francis (Michael Ingham and Thatcher) and my late husband's memorial service was there (Thatcher). I am doing a blog on journalists writing books about personal experiences with alcoholism and addiction. Although that is not what Kerouac documenting there is a theme there. He did die of alcoholism. Do you think that at the root of these diseases are a spiritual void and the afflicted are on a big search? They do say the addiction diseases are diseases of the soul. (I am six years in recovery.) I would really appreciate hearing from you ASAP as my blog is due first thing tomorrow. Thank you, rosemary88@me.com, www.rosemarykeevil.com and 778-688-5990.