Friday, February 13, 2009

Kairos

A view from the New Camaldoli Hermitage high above the village of Lucia on the Big Sur coast where I've been staying since Monday - in a "trailer" with the name "Kairos"... a special timeless moment in time. No cellphone coverage, no internet, so I've been completely cut-off - now snuck off to the Henry Miller Memorial Library up the coast where they have free wireless internet, so that I can let the world know I'm still alive!

It has been a simple week of rest, restoration and reflection - eating, sleeping, enjoying the breathtaking scenery and coastline, joining the monks in their liturgy, and reading. In the mornings I've been reading Subversive Orthodoxy by my friend Robert Inchausti who I'm going to stay with tomorrow, then in the afternoons/evenings I've been reading Henry Miller's Big Sur and the Oranges of Hieronymous Bosch - his memoir of his time living on this coast, kind of appropriate. I'm struck by the profound spirituality in his writing, which some might not expect given the controversy surrounding many of his better known books.... Similarities here with some of the Beats too. I recall Thomas Merton also had some correspondence with Miller in which he remarked that they both bore a passing resemblance to Picasso! I don't recall what else they talked about.

Time to return to eternity...

2 comments:

Mr WM Non-Hodgkin said...

So enjoying this - felt like I was with you as you drove the Oakland Bay Bridge! How amazing that you should meet Carolyn Cassady. Enjoy the peace and prayer. Love and blessings - Phil

jack flatt said...

Aah! (soft sigh)