Saturday, February 7, 2009

What happens next...

So here we are at the end of the road, no more land to go. We've done what we set out to do, more or less; we set out from New York and drove to San Francisco via New Orleans (and Toronto! Twice.) and a whole lot of other places.

Yesterday (Friday), I took Sean to the airport and said goodbye, for us to enter into further phases of our lives. But this journey is not over yet. There's more to be told - both about where we've been and what we've done, but also reflecting on what this journey has been about - for me at least.

Just as soon as I can get a wireless connection with my computer (I'm using David & Anne-Ly's at the moment) I'll be able to load up more pictures and tell you what happened once we got to San Francisco, and I'll continue to give updates as the remainder of this sabbatical progresses - still more than a month to go.

Tomorrow (Sunday) I will be attending a book-signing at the Beat Museum in North Beach, San Francisco by Carolyn Cassady - Neal Cassady's wife - who will be signing copies of the latest edition of her account of her time with Neal and Jack, Off the Road. I'm really looking forward to meeting her - for me, this is the icing on the cake of this trip!

Then on Monday, I will be going to spend the week with the Camaldolese New Hermitage Community at Big Sur until next weekend. This will be my first extended time to reflect on the journey and really begin to process it - I've already begun this today with a truly sabbatical sabbath of a Saturday watching and listening to the waves rolling in from the Pacific Ocean and writing in my journal, but there is a whole lot more to do.

So, I invite you and encourage you to continue checking back with my blog, and feel free to continue making comments - I really appreciate them, though I don't see an easy way to respond to individual comments without publishing a comment of my own in response, and that seems a bit cumbersome (and maybe a bit too public!?). Blog entries may not be so frequent if I'm not somewhere that has a wireless internet connection, but be assured I will continue to update whenever I can.

2 comments:

Francisco said...

Hi Angus. glad that the trip is not over and maybe we'll meet here in Vancouver when you return? Enjoy meeting Carolyn with whom I have been corresponding - she is so full of life! And the Camaldolese retreat at Big Sur sounds just great. I hope you enjoy the peace there.
Stay well.

jack flatt said...

Ah! You got there before I could finish the Scroll!!

Enjoy Big Sur; Jack, after all, had his own time there. It is a very special place.

Look forward to more insights.